Monday, December 9, 2013

Homegrown Collective November 2013 Subscription Box Review


Without a doubt Homegrown Collective is the most perfect subscription box for those of us who are on this amazing journey to living a natural and eco-friendly lifestyle.  In fact, they even state on their website that you will, "Receive seasonally appropriate, professionally curated  products that deliver the satisfaction of living a more self-sufficient & sustainable lifestyle to your doorstep each month."  Well, I can tell you they definitely deliver on a month to month basis. 

Since this is a subscription service you will sign up to have a new box delivered to your door every month, and you can cancel at any time.  The cost is $39/month + $9.00 shipping.  It is a bit pricey, I'll admit, but I have found it to be well worth the cost. I've learned some really invaluable techniques which I probably would have never learned if I hadn't received a kit with all the tools & instructions in which to complete it all spelled out for me.  If you can't tell, I am really excited about this company and their boxes!!!

Every month they have a different theme, with a couple of projects centered around this theme. This month's theme was "Almond De"Light".  The projects in this box were making your own Chocolate Almond Milk and a DIY Evergreen Oil Lamp.

Project #1: Chocolate Almond Milk

I already make my own Almond milk, but I have haven't made a Chocolate version as of yet, so I am excited to try this.  You can read about why I stopped buying commercially made Almond Milk, along with the recipe I've been using, here.  For this project, Homegrown Collective supplied the Almonds, Cacao Powder and Shredded Coconut.  They also supplied a cheesecloth for separating the ground almonds from the milk.  I would highly recommend using a mesh milk nut bag to do this instead of a flimsy cheesecloth.  It will save your life from a whole lot of messy cleanup, trust me!!!! 

Project #2:  DIY Evergreen Oil Lamp

I was really excited about this project, although a tad bit worried when I actually lit the wick that the flame would rush down the wick into my jar of paraffin oil and catch on fire.  I was prepared to chuck the lamp outside into the snow if need be. :)  Thankfully, my worries were completely unfounded, as they often are.  My imagination is somewhat overactive!  The completed project is rather beautiful (but please do not leave the lamp unattended). 

The box included all the supplies needed to make this lamp:  one mason jar with a hole already punched in the lid, indoor paraffin lamp oil, a fiberglass wick along with a latex glove to handle it, and an assortment of "filler" items (evergreen cuttings, holly and pine cones).  The instructions were easy to follow and quick to complete.  Essentially you just toss all the filler into your jar, fill it with the oil, add the wick and your ready to light it!  

I have one tiny suggestion for the Homegrown Collective company. Can you please provide new members with a binder so we can keep all your projects organized and in a central location for future reference?  What do you think of the November Homegrown Collective Subscription Box?

~Chrissy

2 comments: