Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Homemade Elixir for Cold & Flu Season

Today was one of those days where I could not seem to shake off a general feeling of yuckiness.  This yuckiness has been slowly getting more and more hard to ignore over the course of my Saturday morning, which is not good at all.  There is just no way I can let myself get sick, not that I ever want to let myself get sick, but this is by no means a good time for this to happen.  First, Christmas is only a few days away and I have parties to go to and food to prepare.  Secondly, a co-worker retired on Friday, leaving us a bit short-handed at my place of work and I really can't afford to have to take a sick day right now.  Nope, this girl just ain't getting sick!!!!

There was no choice but to call in for reinforcements.  My husband, Andy, has a tried and true homemade remedy for just these kinds of moments.  Any time we feel like a cold or the flu is imminent, we start drinking Andy's "Icky Hot Elixir" to knock it out of the park, so to speak. It doesn't sound pleasant because it really isn't.  I'm not going to lie to you here. It tastes kind of nasty and the drink is a hot one.  Knock it down quickly and just remember the fact that your throat will be burning after downing this drink can only mean it is killing all those nasty bugs and viruses!

Andy's "Icky Hot Elixir":
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Tumeric
1 tbsp. Raw Honey
juice of 1 Lemon
12 oz water
--Mix all ingredients together and drink twice a day until you feel better.

What cold and flu home remedies are your tried and true favorites?

Medical Disclaimer: All information about home remedies in my post is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment