Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Homegrown Collective October 2013 Subscription Box Review

This is my second box from Homegrown Collective and I am completely smitten! Without a doubt this is the most perfect subscription box for those of us who are on this amazing journey to living a natural and eco-friendly lifestyle.  In fact, they even state on their website that you will, "Receive seasonally appropriate, professionally curated  products that deliver the satisfaction of living a more self-sufficient & sustainable lifestyle to your doorstep each month."  I can tell you they definitely have delivered! After my very first box, I completely changed the products I use to do my laundry.  Is that not life changing, then I don't know what is! 

Since this is a subscription service you will sign up to have a new box delivered to your door every month, and you can cancel at any time.  The cost is $39/month + $9.00 shipping.  It is a bit pricey but I have found it to be well worth the cost.  In just two months I've learned some really invaluable techniques which I probably would have never learned if I hadn't received a kit with all the tools & instructions in which to complete it all spelled out for me.  If you can't tell, I am really excited about this company and their boxes!!!  

This month's theme was "Preserving & Preparing the Harvest Feast"  As you might guess, the big project in the box was canning.  Now I have always wanted to learn how to can foods but, to be completely honest, I was really intimidated by it so I never ever tried it before.  All the tools/ingredients you need were included with the box, except for the pot to heat everything in. The instructions were step by step and super easy to follow.  In fact, I was extremely surprised with just how easy the whole process really was.  It probably took a little over an hour from start to finish, and I ended up with some wonderful cranberry chutney which is going to be wonderful on top of my turkey this Thanksgiving! 


A second little project was also included in this month's box.  It was to make your own candle inside of  gourd.  Yes, a gourd.  This was the most adorably sweet little candle I have ever seen, let alone made myself.  I will tell you, we had to pull out a handsaw to get the gourd open.  It is a tough little bugger! A knife just wasn't powerful enough.  Besides that, this project was a piece of cake. You simply scoop out the insides, melt your wax, place your wick, pour it inside the hollowed out gourd and let it sit.  Viola! 

I can't wait to see what's store for my November box!!! 


~Chrissy

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a subscription box with a lovely difference! I wish they did something like that over the pond. I would love this. Thanks so much for sharing! Xx

    Kinderhealthandbeauty.blogspot.cO.uK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! It is a very unique box service, isn't it? Hopefully someone will start something similar in the UK soon!

      Delete
  2. That is such a wonderful idea. It is always good to learn new skills x

    ReplyDelete