Monday, January 19, 2015

Thoughts About A Book: "Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail" by Cheryl Strayed

 
I normally don't pick up non-fiction books, I'm not sure why but ever since I was a kid I have been extremely fiction-centric.  My enjoyment of reading comes from escaping reality, so I shy away from those books about real life.  There was something about the previews I'd been seeing for this movie that intrigued me enough to pick this one up.  I am happy that I did, because I devoured it!   

As the name of the book suggests, Cheryl Strayed wrote this about an extremely pivotal point of her life.  She was a lost soul, that much is very clear from the very get-go. She makes some really, really self-destructive life choices after the death of her mom, which ultimately lead her on a solo journey hiking across the Pacific Coast Trail (PCT).  Her journey is both physical and mental, her will to continue day after grueling day is nothing but inspiring.  

I am not outdoorsy, in any way, shape or form but while reading about her trek I felt a stir, deep inside, to set out on my own soul searching hike along the PCT.  Upon completing the journey with Cheryl through her words and thereby closing the book for the last time, my urge to actually hike alone through California and Oregon also came to an abrupt end. Yet, the flame it ignited inside of me for a journey all of my own making has only just begun to burn.  

~Chrissy

No comments:

Post a Comment