Farmers Market Organic Pumpkin Puree, but this year, after seeing some organic pumpkins in the produce section at Natural Grocers, I decided it was about time to try making my own.
Homemade Pumpkin Puree:
**I want to credit Organic Authority for the instructions which helped me learn how to make this puree.
1 whole Pumpkin (I used a 4 LB Sugar Pumpkin)
1. Preheat your oven to 350F.
2. De-stem and cut the pumpkin in half. Remove the seeds but don't throw them away. Roast those babies for some good snacking later on!
4. Allow the pumpkin to cool off a bit before scraping all the flesh off the skin. Discard the skin. Place the pumpkin in a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy. Note: A food processor may work better then a blender on this step. I struggled a bit with my blender blending the pumpkin very well. I had to keep stopping and stirring it around a bit. It may be the kind of blender I have, but I'm going to try a food processor next time to see if it makes this step any easier. ***UPDATE**** Use a food processor for this step. It works like a charm!!!!
5. Drain off any excess water, if needed. (I did not need to do this step but if your pumpkin holds a lot of moisture in it, you might have to.)
6. Store in jars or freeze for later use. I was able to get about 38oz of pumpkin puree from a 4LB pumpkin.